Friday, July 19, 2013

The Halfway Point

This last week and a half has been filled with lots of love, hugs and laughter. In the midst of all the fun and games, The Lord has also been teaching me some pretty important life lessons. Everyday I step back and try to take in everything that's happening around me... the sights, the smells and the sounds. Today I realized that it's already July eighteenth... over halfway into the month. I had to stop myself from thinking about it. At this point, I've memorized all the names and personalities behind each face here at the orphanage. For example, Natnaree is the brainiest of the bunch and Mae will only make silly faces for the camera. Creme and Tawan have to keep the younger girls (especially the little rascals, Chai and Pawn) in line. Then there's Bebe, the prayer warrior and Fii, the little girl with a big heart for worship. There's thirty girls here and it would take me all night to mention every one of them. However, I will miss each one so, so much.
The last few days have been crazy! On Thursday, the girls went to school. While the girls where gone, our team drove an hour and half out to Chiang Rai to get groceries and essential store bought items that we would need for our time here in Thailand. We got home in the evening, just in time to have dinner and a prayer session. After prayer, we had a movie night with popcorn. This was a very special treat for the girls! We had fun, watching Strawberry Shortcake in Thai, with helpful subtitles... also in Thai. ;)
On Friday, the girls stayed home from school! I taught English for the first time that morning and taught it again in the afternoon. The girls don't know much English, so teaching them was actually surprisingly easy! My class is very obedient and enthusiastic. I had to figure out how to communicate to them without a translator and at first I was unsure of myself. After class, The Lord reminded me that we all speak one universal language... the language of love. Teaching them later that day was much easier when I communicated using more actions, hand gestures and hugs instead of words. I figured out that, yes, actions really do speak louder than words.
Later on, we made cupcakes with the older girls and the doctor came to give everybody their yearly check-up. Everybody was happy and healthy! Well... except for five year old Jin-tah-nah. She's a skinny little thing, but out of all the girls, she's got the biggest dimples and sweetest smile by far. Apparently the little rash she had been hiding under her shirt wasn't so little after all... it was shingles. Keep in mind, Jin-tah-nah is only five years old. The fact that she has shingles could be a sign that there is a bigger underlying issue. Please keep her in your prayers! That evening, we had a worship session and prayed for the three girls who had birthdays recently. We celebrated with chips and soda! After the celebration, our team had a bible study and then headed off to bed.
On Saturday, we taught English in the morning and played games with the girls in the afternoon. That evening after dinner, I gave the girls their pillowcase dresses that the ladies at my church made for them. The girls LOVED them! They each had so much fun spinning around in their dresses and posing for the camera! After about an hour of wearing them, they changed back into their normal clothes so that the dresses would be clean so that they could wear them to church the next day. We ended the day singing songs around the campfire. There was no fire pit, just a pile of logs in the middle of the dirt. The girls had a great time performing some of their tribal dances for our team and singing some songs in each of their tribal languages. It was such a fun experience for us all. After putting out the fire, we said goodnight to the girls and ended the night with a team bible study.
On Sunday, the girls were up at six in the morning, giggling on our front porch in their pillowcase dresses. That morning for church, we Skyped in with a church in Ohio who support two of the girls here in the orphanage. We had a great time of worship and prayer together, then had some downtime until after lunch. At about one-thirty, we took the girls swimming at a swimming pool! They only go swimming about once or twice a year, so they had been looking forward to this swimming trip all week! I had a great time teaching them how to play Marco Polo. Of course, it was pretty hard for them to say Marco Polo, so they ended up saying Mango Polo instead. It was so cute! That evening after swimming, two of the girls (Mii and Earn)  taught me how to play one of their tribal games. It was a lot like Jacks, but with rocks. You throw a rock into the air, try to pick up as many rocks as you can, then catch the rock you threw before it hits the ground. It's amazing how long these girls stay entertained by just playing with rocks. That night we had worship time, bible study, then went to bed.
On Monday, the girls went to school. I taught English to Hy and Peace, two of the staff members. Mrs Joyce taught sewing to the staff after english. Later in the day, Anna and I had fun painting the guesthouse until dinner time. After dinner, we cleaned up and went to the nightly worship service. After worship, I gave the girls a card and a gift from some friends of mine in Colorado. They loved the cards and thought the gifts (heart-shaped sun catchers) were beautiful. We then had team bible study and went to bed.
On Tuesday, our team taught english and sewing to the staff again! After lunch, Anna and I continued painting the house. Once the girls came home from school we put away our painting supplies, played with the kids, then had dinner. After dinner, we went to the nightly worship service. The girls worked on learning a new song, then we had team bible study and went to bed.
On Wednesday, Anna and I got up at six-thirty to walk the girls to school. It was so much fun! A few of the girls have completely different personalities in the morning, so that was fun to see. We then had breakfast and taught english to the staff. After english, Mrs Joyce taught sewing. After sewing, Anna and I finished painting the house, then played games with the girls once they got home from school. I gave them a small gift (bouncy-balls) that I brought in my suitcase. They loved them!  We then had worship time that evening and ended the day with team bible study.
On Thursday, I woke up early to walk the girls to school. It ended up raining, so Peace (one of the staff members) ended up driving the girls to school instead. Before they left, I had a wonderful time taking silly pictures with the girls and joining them for their morning prayer time and worship service. After the girls left, our team had breakfast and then we taught english to the staff. The two staff members that I teach (Peace and Hy) are very musical as well! I ended up teaching them the song Oh Praise Him by David Crowder on the guitar and Peace returned the favor by teaching me a worship song (Yu Agasah Yaysoo) in her tribal language, Karen. I can't wait to play it for everyone when I get back home! It is a beautiful song! After lunch, Anna and I painted the front porch of the guesthouse until dinner. After dinner, we ended the day with the nightly worship service. During prayer time, the girls laid hands on our team and prayed for us. At one point, one of the little girls, Bebe, took both of my hands and prayed for me specifically. Bebe prays with passion. Of course, I had to stop myself from crying! We then ended the night with team bible study.
As for prayer requests, please continue to pray for my health! The last couple mornings I woke up and felt like my tonsils were infected. Yesterday, my right eye got infected as well and I couldn't see clearly out of it. I started taking eye drops, but it only got worse. Today, Peace took me to the market and got me medicine for my eye. Please pray that the medicine is effective and that the infection goes away as soon as possible. Right now it is swollen and red, but the pain had gone down. I am praising God that I can see progress, but am still praying for complete healing. Also, please keep Dave Atkins in your prayers. A few nights ago he fell out of the top bunk bed in the middle of the night and severely sprained his wrist. He has been keeping it in a sling and it has been getting better, but please pray for complete healing.
Most of all, please pray for the girls here at the orphanage. Five of the thirty girls here have committed their lives to Christ, but the other twenty-five have yet to step  forward and make a commitment. On Sunday, we will be presenting the gospel again to them. Please pray that The Lord would prepare their hearts and that several of them would be led to make a commitment.
I look forward to keeping you guys updated as the trip continues! Thank you for your continued prayers!
In His Service,
Hannah Boyd
Philippians 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment